Under direction, plans and coordinates and budgets the year-round operation of the fairgrounds for Routt County;
supervises staff in the performance of facility and grounds maintenance activities; markets and promotes the
fairgrounds and related facilities; ensures that buildings and grounds are maintained properly; provides assistance
to the Routt County Fair Advisory Board by coordinating the planning and implementation of the annual county fair
in accordance with Routt County policies, procedures, and applicable laws; and performs other related duties as
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: Associates degree from an accredited college or university in public administration, business
administration, accounting or a closely related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience administering and coordinating special
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the above-required education on a year-for-year
Fairgrounds Management Duties:
• Plans, coordinates and budgets the year-round operation of the fairgrounds for Routt County; oversees the maintenance and administration of the fairgrounds as a county asset serving the community in an efficient and effective manner.
• Markets and promotes the fairgrounds and its facilities for special events and activities through community public relations, social media, and contacts with various community and state-wide organizations; coordinates and administers facility rentals including scheduling, contracting, and obtaining required insurance based on established fees and procedures.
• Responds to inquiries from visitors and callers regarding the use of fairgrounds facilities and general information; administers legal and accounting transaction details for fairgrounds rentals including contracts, accounts payable, accounts receivable, deposits, invoicing, and payroll according to Routt County policies and procedures; seeks legal direction from the County Attorney’s office as needed.
• Coordinates the use of the RV Park and other camping facilities; makes reservations, receives payments, obtains agreements, and administers check in and check out activities utilizing an automated system.
• Supervises and directs fairgrounds maintenance, repair, and construction activities and projects; ensures that work is completed on time and within budget.
• Evaluates, reviews, and recommends changes as necessary for fairgrounds use, fees, and improvements; seeks, writes, and administers grants to raise funds for improvements and to implement the Fairgrounds Master Plan.
Fair Operations Duties:
• Works with the Fair Advisory Board (FAB) to determine annual fair events and activities; prepares schedules of activities and locations; obtains necessary permits; seeks and schedules volunteers.
• Solicits and procures judges, security staff, emergency medical personnel, entertainment artists, catering services, trash and toilet services, and various other vendors and service providers; develops and administers vendor and service contracts; purchases prizes and tickets; obtains supplies and equipment.
• Assigns vendor camping spaces and coordinates reservation processes; assigns horse stall reservations and assignments.
• Prepares and administers the fair budget and all accounts payable/receivable activities; makes deposits and arranges for the security of cash received during the fair.
• Coordinates other fair logistics and operations as required.
General Administrative/Supervisory Duties:
• Supervises and motivates subordinate staff performing unskilled, semi-skilled and/or skilled maintenance and custodial work; plans, schedules, assigns, directs, and evaluates staff work; ensures that staff adhere to county and departmental policies and procedures as well as legal requirements; ensures that staff adhere to safety requirements and receive appropriate job-related training; promotes teamwork and skill development; initiates corrective and disciplinary actions as needed; participates in staff hiring processes
• Performs various administrative tasks; retrieves mail from the post office; receives, codes, and maintains financial transactions; creates and distributes invoices; tracks and reconciles payments to invoices; coordinates and completes tax revenue reports and reconciliations.
• Provides staff support to the FAB; secures meeting space; prepares, coordinates, posts, and distributes agenda packets; maintains board records and paperwork; coordinates appointments to member position vacancies.
• Recommends changes to policies and procedures to reduce costs, optimize output, simplify processes, and improve effectiveness; recommends quality control and quality improvement programs and initiatives; analyzes and monitors performance indicators.
• Oversees the ordering of equipment, materials, and supplies required to complete assigned projects and maintain appropriate materiel and supply inventories.
• Assists in the development and administration of operating, capital improvement, and/or project budgets; reviews and monitors expenditures for compliance with budget requirements; approves invoices for payment.
• Manages and ensures accurate and appropriate recordkeeping for areas of assignment.
• Uses a computer to maintain files and records, prepare correspondence, research information, and prepare various documents and reports.
• Schedules and attends meetings, classes, and training; serves on committees, teams, and task forces as
• May initiate, process, and/or approve various personnel or payroll-related documents.
• May manage special projects as assigned.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.