Superintendents: Nancy Mucklow, Tegan Anderson, Jody Camilletti
1. All canned and jellied products must include the following information on the label (blank labels will be available at the Fair): - name of product -method of preparation (type syrup, type pack, any additional ingredients added) as applies to product canned -method of processing (i.e., pressure canner, water bath) and pounds of pressure used if food was pressure canned -elevation at which processing was done-exact processing time-date processed –RECIPE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
- REMEMBER TO ADD ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT TIME TO RECIPE YOU ARE PREPARING. See Altitude Chart. (Example: Recipe calls for 5 minutes processing time. For 6001-8000 feet, add 15 minutes to processing time = 20 minutes total processing time).
Recipe info can be included on the information label or attached as a separate label, but should be attached to the product because of food safety concerns.
2. Jellied products and Other Canned products must be displayed in U.S. standard jar (i.e., Ball, Kerr). Two-piece matching lids must be used.
3. Acceptable canning methods include pressure canned or hot water bath. It may be necessary to open home canned food entries to inspect for judging purposes. Judges will use their own discretion as to whether or not they will open and taste canned products. Directions for different methods are available from the Routt County Extension office and local libraries. Products with paraf- fin (wax) seals will not be accepted.
4. Including the recipe is beneficial.
5. Head space (the unfilled jar space above the food and below its lid) should be 1/4 inch for jams and jellies; 1/2 inch for fruit, pickles and tomatoes processed in hot-water bath; and 1 to 1 1/4 inch for low acid foods, vegetables, meats, etc. processed in a pressure canner.
DIVISION A: FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Judging for fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and soups is based on appearance 50% (for natural color, uniform pieces, quality product canned in appropriate and food safe conditions, clear liquid); pack 40% (for well-spaced, attractive, uniform pieces, proper head space); and container 10% (for a perfect seal, complete label including recipe reference, sparkling jar).
Category 1 - Fruit
C006 Fruit-fruit cocktail
C016 Fruit-pie filling
C017 Fruit- miscellaneous
Category 2 - Meat & Fish
C021 Meat & Fish-beef
C022 Meat & Fish-poultry
C023 Meat & Fish-trout
C024 Meat & Fish- mincemeat
C025 Meat & Fish- wild game
C026 Meat & Fish- miscellaneous
C027 Meat & Fish-open
Category 3 - Soup
C032 Soup- vegetable
C033 Soup- miscellaneous
Category 4 – Vegetables
C043 Veg-tomato sauce
C044 Veg-vegetable juice (V-8 type)
Category 5 - Pickled and Spiced Products
Judging is based upon appearance 40% (even color, uniform pieces and texture, sparkling jar), quality of fruit and vegetables 30% (quality product canned in appropriate and food safe conditions, condition of finished product, perfect seal), pack 25% (neatness, liquid cover, proper head space) and complete label and recipe reference 5%.
C052 Pickle/Spice-B&B cucumber
C053 Pickle/Spice-dill cucumber
C054 Pickle/Spice-sweet cucumber
C055 Pickle/Spice-misc. cucumber
C059 Pickle/Spice-misc. vegetable
C060 Pickle/Spice-misc. fruit
C062 Pickle/Spice-tomato catsup
C063 Pickle/Spice-dilled beans
C064 Pickle/Spice-misc. chutney
C065 Pickle/Spice-dill relish
C066 Pickle/Spice-sweet relish
C067 Pickle/Spice-misc. relish
C068 Pickle/Spice-chili sauce
C069 Pickle/Spice-misc. sauce
C072 Pickle/Spice-vinegar, homemade
C073 Pickle/Spice-vinegar, herbed
C074 Pickle/Spice-salsa, processed
C075 Pickle/Spice-salsa, refrigerated
Category 6 - Fermented or Brined Products
This class is designed for products that are NOT hot water bath or pressure canner processed. Includes lacto fermented products (using salt, brine, whey, starter culture or SCOBY) for fermenting.
Judging is based upon appearance 40% (even color, uniform pieces and texture, sparkling jar), quality of fruit and vegetables 40% (quality product made in appropriate and food safe conditions, condition of finished product), and complete label including processing method and time/recipe reference 20%.
C200 Fermented Pickle-Vegetable
C201 Fermented Pickle-Fruit
C202 Fermented-Chutney, Relish or Paste
C203 Fermented-Sauerkraut or Kimchi
C208 Fermented Honey
These products must have two-piece lids and be hot-water bathed. Products with paraffin (wax) seals will not be accepted.
Category 1 - Jams and Butters
Jams are fruit pulp and juice with sugar and no distinct form; butters are concentrated fruit pulp, juice, sugar and spice of a smooth consistency. Judging is based on appearance 40% (clarity, color, no foreign substance), consistency 40% (uniformity, smooth, thick, tender), and container 20% (proper head space, perfect seal, complete label including recipe reference, sparkling jar).
C081 Jam-apple butter
C082 Jam-apricot butter
C083 Jam-pear butter
C084 Jam-peach butter
C086 Jam-apricot pineapple
C092 Jam-strawberry rhubarb
C093 Jam- mixed fruit
C094 Jam-other fruit
C098 Jam-wild berry
Category 2 - Jellies
Jelly contains fruit juice, pectin and sugar. It is clear and sparkling and holds firm in place. Judging will be based on texture 40% (tender, firm enough to hold angle when cut, smooth), appearance 40% (clarity, color, no foreign substance) container 20% (proper head space, perfect seal, complete label including recipe reference, sparkling jar).
C106 Jelly-currant, black
C107 Jelly-currant, red
C108 Jelly- gooseberry
C115 Jelly-mixed fruit
C117 Jelly-syrup open
C118 Jelly-syrup misc.
Category 3 - Marmalades and Conserves
Marmalade contains all the fruit except seeds and core, and small pieces of pulp and peel are evenly distributed through a rich, clear, translucent jelly. Although similar to marmalade, conserves are a thicker consistency and usually contain several fruits, nutmeats or raisins.
C127 Marm/Conserve-mixed fruit
Category 4 - Preserves
Preserves contain small whole fruits or large chunks of fruit or rinds of fruit, pectin, and sugar in a very thick syrup or slightly jellied juice. Judging is based on fruit 30% (distinct pieces of whole fruit in heavy syrup), syrup 30% (bright, clear color), pack 30% (neat fruit well covered with syrup, complete label including recipe reference, sparkling jar) and fruit 10% (clarity, shape, color firmness of texture).