STEAMBOAT MOTORS POWER WHEELS DERBY
Sponsor: Steamboat Motors
Superintendent: Jill Delay, Lane Iacovetto, Ben Vannoy
NEW in 2021 –Miniature mayhem! The next generation of demo derby drivers will delight crowds in the midway with their battery-powered plastic pulverizers. The object is not to destroy another child’s vehicle; rather hit ’em hard enough to pop the four balloons and keep theirs attached to be the winner!
All participants receive a t-shirt. Winner of each age group gets a NEW POWER WHEELS vehicle!
- Four balloons will be placed on each derby car. A car is “OUT” if all balloons are popped.
- Age Groups: 3-5 years and 6-10 years (age as of the day of the derby)
- LIMITED TO 12 entries per age group.
- $25 entry fee
- Entries open August 13 until full
- Check-in and tech inspection is from 4:30-6pm in the midway.
- Mandatory “driver and parent” meeting at 6:15pm. Cars MUST be tech inspected prior to drivers meeting.
- Any regular electric Power Wheel is allowed. No 4-Wheeler type vehicles allowed. Child’s legs must be in a compartment. Ride in not ride on!
- Kids 3-10 years of age may participate. There are two age groups: 3-5 & 6-10.
- Helmets must be worn; a bicycle helmet is ok!
- The vehicle is limited to 6-12 volt power wheels only. Vehicles are allowed to have UP TO a 12-volt lawn mower battery, which cannot be mounted in the passenger seat and the battery must be secured and sealed away from the child.
- Motors must remain stock, only batteries may be changed out (see rule 4)
- All doors and tailgates must be strapped shut. No sharp edges. Use zip ties, duct tape, or other flexible material to ensure they stay shut.
- Stock tires only. Tires may be covered with duct tape to prevent them from cracking or breaking. No screws, chains, etc. in tires.
- Decorative changes can be made to Power Wheels to make it look like a derby car, however; there can be no reinforcement to the power wheel. Changes and additions are only decorative.
- Please remember this is for the kids, don’t add something that could cause them to be eliminated from the derby.
- Everyone must pre-enter because every child will receive something, there will only be 12 contestants in each age group.
- All Power Wheels will be checked in at the pit gate then impounded until time of the event.
- Four balloons will be attached by the event superintendents. The object is to pop the balloons. The last one left with a balloon is the winner.
- Each heat will be given a time limit. If at the end of the heat, there is more than one contestant with balloons un- popped, heat will be declared a tie.
- If a child gets out of the Power Wheel during the event, that child is out of the event.
- If vehicle has more than one speed, low speed must be used.